Sat11012014

Last update07:18:05 PM GMT

Region

Serb genocidal murderer of quarter million Muslims parties freely in Serbia

  • PDF
Image
Scene from a Bosnian death camp
Federal Television in Bosnia-Herzegovina (FTV) aired a shocking video on Wednesday evening (June 10th) in the programme 60 Minutes. The footage shows former Bosnian Serb Army Commander, Ratko Mladic, enjoying his life in plain sight in Serbia and Bosnia-Herzegovina. Ratko Mladic, 67, has been on the run from the UN's International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) for 14 years, when he was indicted for the Srebrenica genocide and other serious crimes against humanity.

As expected, Serbia's minister in charge of co-operation with the UN tribunal - Rasim Ljajic - claimed the footage was old. "Not a single shot is less than eight years old,?" he said. Ratko Mladic has never been seriously pursued by nationalist governments in Serbia and therefore, anything that the Serbian ultra-nationalist government says should be taken with a grain of salt.

The video was found and confiscated during search of the flat of Mladic?s wife Bosiljka on December 4 last year at the order of the Chamber for war crimes of the District court in Belgrade. During the search, Belgrade investigators also found Ratko Mladic diaries, some of which we republished on June 7th.

The footage shows Ratko Mladic receiving guests at his house in a Belgrade neighbourhood of Kosutnjak (location) where he introduces guests to BILJANA. "Biljana" is a wife of his son, Darko Mladic. She was Muslim, her previous name was AIDA, but she quietly changed her Muslim name into Serbian name BILJANA. She gave birth on March 2, 2006 to a boy, Mladic's grandchild. The child has been named after St. Stefan. They apparently have one more daughter, Anastazija, who was born in 2001. It is unclear which baby he was holding on his lap.

Some parts of this amateur video show Ratko Mladic attending a wedding party of one his bodyguards in a restaurant Kula near Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina, in September 2000. The restaurant is situated in the so called "East Sarajevo", rural part of Sarajevo held by Bosnian Serbs, which is close to the main military NATO headquarters located in the Federal part of Sarajevo. The restaurant is also near Ratko Mladic's village of birth - Božinovići. The village is located near the Jahorina mountain, southeast of Sarajevo.

Another part of this video shows Mladic as slowly walking on a snow-covered mountain path with a cane, looking significantly older than in other footage. According to some reports, he had a "stroke" in 2006 and he hardly recovered from it. Since then, he started walking with a cane. Therefore, it looks like this part of the footage is indeed from 2006 or even 2008 as claimed by FTV.

Then, the video also shows Ratko Mladic sitting in peaceful wooded surroundings of what the television said were Serbian Army military barracks. Serbian government said that "the last time Mladic was in military premises was at the Krcmari army barracks near [the eastern Serbian town of] Valjevo on June 1, 2002." However, the footage shows significantly older Ratko Mladic holding onto his cane while sitting with his wife in a compound surrounded by trees. He jokingly complains there is not enough coffee on the table.

The compound looks a like guarded military base. The entrance sign to the compound reads, "Barutana. Izgradjena 1807 god. Restaurirana 1976 god." (Gun Powder Factory. Built in 1807. Restored in 1976.), which is part of Belgrade Castle (Beogradska Tvrdjava) built by Ottomans.

The oldest portion of this video shows Ratko Mladic attending a funeral of his daughter, Ana, who committed a suicide in 1994. You may recall that in 1994, Mladic was actively murdering Bosniak civilians - women, children, men, and elderly - in Sarajevo and other cities in Bosnia-Herzegovina. He felt no emotion for mass murders of Bosniaks, but he sobs uncontrollably in front of his daughter's coffin. A perfect psychopath, indeed.

A spokeswoman for the prosecutor's office at the ICTY said that they were examining the footage and would comment later. In the meantime, former Ratko Mladic bodyguard, Branislav Puhalo, told a Belgrade court Tuesday that Mladic was guarded by about 50 heavily armed men who were staying at an army barracks in Belgrade. He said the protection unit was set up in 1997 under orders from former President Slobodan Milosevic.

"It was all legal," Puhalo said at the trial of 10 people charged with helping Mladic evade justice. "We were tasked with protecting Mladic from criminals and bounty hunters." Puhalo said that Mladic's protection unit was disbanded in March 2002.

So we have 10 people standing trial for helping Ratko Mladic evade justice, but what about Radovan Karadzic's supporters? We wonder, why the same Belgrade Court failed to charge family members of Radovan Karadzic for helping him evade justice? Remember that Ratko Mladic's boss, Radovan Karadzic, freely traveled and regularly stayed in touch with his family, especially his wife Ljiljana Zelen-Karadzic - all with the help of Dragan Karadzic, son of Radovan's brother Luka Karadzic. None of these people have ever been charged with obstruction of justice.

Serbia ordered the execution of 8000 Muslims in Srebrenica

  • PDF
Image
A Mosque destroyed by Serb army in Bosnia
The Congress of North American Bosniaks (CNAB) recently published two confidential court decisions allowing Serbia to censor the most incriminating evidence showing Serbia's direct involvement in the Srebrenica genocide.

The sensitive information included confidential orders by the court in the Slobodan Milosevic trial, not to publicise documents that implicate the Serbian state in the 1995 Srebrenica genocide, in which at least 8,372  Muslim Bosniaks were summarily executed and 30,000 forcibly expelled in a mass scale ethnic cleansing
CONFIDENTIAL DOCUMENTS:
1. ICTY SER 2005_0702100347_001 (351 kb / .pdf)
2. ICTY SER 2006_0702100337_001 (621 kb / .pdf)

According to the Bosnian Institute, "the ICTY had begun its own investigation into this leak. The letters asked all those who had received the allegedly protected documents to destroy them, and forbade their further copying and distribution."

As CNAB noted in its
letter to the ICTY, "The purpose of the secret agreement was clearly to hide the most relevant evidence which confirms the involvement of Serbia in organizing, planning and executing the aggression, war crimes, and genocide against the state of Bosnia and Herzegovina. Protective measures were authorized to Serbia and Montenegro in order to protect their national and state interests."

According to Marlise Simons, "Serbia, obtained court permission to keep parts of the archives out of the public eye, citing national security. Its lawyers lacked out many sensitive - those who have seen them say incriminating - pages... Now, lawyers and others who were involved in Serbia's bid for secrecy say that, at the time, Belgrade made its true objective clear: to keep the full military archives from another court, the International Court of Justice, nearby. And they say Belgrade's goal was achieved in February, when that court, dealing with Bosnia's lawsuit against Serbia, declared Serbia not guilty of genocide, and absolved it from paying potentially enormous war damages." (
Serbia's Darkest Pages Hidden from Genocide Court)

Currently, a French journalist, Florence Hartmann is facing trial at the ICTY that employed her from 1999 until 2006 - as spokeswoman for the former chief prosecutor, Carla Del Ponte - on two counts of contempt of court for revealing details of the same two decisions in an article,
Vital Genocide Documents Concealed, published on the website of the Bosnian Institute on January 21, 2008. We stand in support of Florence Hartmann.

Serbia strengthens military and economic ties with Ahmadinejad's Iran

  • PDF
ImageSerbia and Iran signed a free trade agreement  and pledged further diplomatic and miltiary ties between the two countries.
 
"We are planning to sign a free trade agreement with Iran which foresees a significant liberalisation of exports which will enable the increase of mutual trade," it said in a statement.

Serbia and Iran have also agreed to increase the cooperation in military level. "Serbia and Iran will certainy want to increase and deepen ties with Iran's military industry and security policies," was said in the statement
 
Serbian Economy Minister Mladjan Dinkic met Friday with an Iranian delegation led by Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki, who invited Serbian companies to "take part in infrastructure projects in Iran," it said.

Serbia and Iran are reportedly considering cooperation in the oil industry,  military, metalurgy, food trade and pharmaceuticals. Mottaki met also with Serbia's Prime Minister Mirko Cvetkovic and Foreign Minister Vuk Jeremic.
 
Serbia was also a vocal supporter of Iran at UN against the resolution which condemens Iran's abuse and violation of Human Rights.
 
The move was also recently criticized by Helsinki Committee for Human Rights in Serbia. The Helsinki Committee’s report for the year 2008 published under the title „Human Rights, Democracy and – Violence“ provides an example that indicates the compromises Serbia accepts inthe search for allies in „defense“ of Kosovo. Namely, on November 21, 2008, Serbia voted gainst the UN Resolution on the Situtation of Human Rights in Iran where the Sharia applies even to persons under age (out of 32 death penalties in the entire world in 2005, 26 took place in Iran).

Meanwhile, Serbia continues to harbor the Serb fugitive charged with genocide and crimes against humanity, Ratko Mladic who is still at large, believed to reside in Serbia. A recent video shows him dancing and parting freely among friends somewhere in Serbia.
 

Kosovo is priority for only 4% of Serbia's citizens

  • PDF
ImageIn a public opinion survey conducted by the Belgrade’s Center for Free Elections and Democracy came up with the finding that Kosovo is no longer an issue of interest for the citizens of Serbia.

According to this survey only 4% of the citizens of Serbia consider the fight for Kosovo as a priority for them.

The main concern for the citizens of Serbia is the economic development, standard of living, employments and the fight against organized crime and corruption.
 
In a survey conducted on February by Strategic Marketing  from Belgrade, asking "Did Serbia lose Kosovo?",  over 61 percent of citizens of Serbia answered that Serbia has lost Kosovo.
 
Only 2.5 percent of those surveyed believe that Kosovo is part of Serbia, while 16 percent have no position over the issue.

Contrary to the reality acknowledged by the Serbia people, the Serbia leadership continues to pursue nationalistic rhetoric on Kosovo.

Albania to speed into the fast lane

  • PDF
ImageAt six o'clock Monday morning, both sides of the tunnel crossing the Durrës-Kukës-Morinë road were united. The Project is a key connection between the port of Durrës, Albania's primary seaport on the Adriatic Sea, and Kosovo.

Anna Wiman

Anna Wiman
Freelance Writer and photographer

Elizabeth Gowing

Elizabeth Gowing
Co-Founder at The Ideas Partnership NGO

Henry H. Perritt Jr.

Henry H. Perritt Jr.
Professor of Law Chicago-Kent College

Drilon Gashi

Drilon Gashi
Comm. Counselor to the Prime Minister

Arlind V. Bytyqi

Arlind V. Bytyqi
Editor-in-chief
New Kosova Report
 

Book reviews

Books on Kosovo

Book Review

Interested on learning more about Kosovo, its history and culture?

Then go ahead to our book review section and find the latest book reviews from various authors and scholars!